cars Ireland ireland car and motoring portal for irish motorists
   HOME    NEWS    CLASSIFIEDS    SHOWROOM    DEALER SEARCH    MY CAR    MOTOR SPORTS    FORUM    STRESS RELIEF    MOTORING LINKS    ABOUT US

Go Back   Forums Ireland > eForecourt.com Forums > Classic Cars Ireland

Old 27-06-2004, 02:19 PM

doozer1 is on a distinguished road
Default Van/campervan Basic Conversion Insurance

Hello,

I am planning to try a basic van conversion to turn into a basic campervan but I have tried asking insurance companies if they will insure a private conversion campervan, but the ones I have talked to say they cannot insure a modified van whether internal or external full stop!!

Does anyone out there know of any insurance companies that could provide insurance for this matter???

Also, most vans I have seen get ply lined inside so the owner can hang up tools etc. Does anyone know if this is seen as a modification by insurance companies???

Appreciate any help with these questions.

regards
Old 29-06-2004, 12:35 AM

Beetlejuice

I suggest that you contact The Motor Caravan Club of Ireland who should be able to point you in the right direction re insurance (and many other matters re campervans!).

(Sorry, I don't have their contact details. Try a Yahoo search.)

Regards,
Beetlejuice.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:08 PM

shaggy is on a distinguished road

Dolmen brokers will insure it for you on their group scheme with AXA.You will need to send in photos of the van on all sides and inside plus of any gas connections. It will need to be your second vehicle. Good points are it's fully comp and not limited mileage and should be 300 -350 (theres a new business surcharge so that'll go down next year. Ring them on 01 8672121.
If you're looking for a cheap camper thats also a classic there's a commer in the buy and sell for 1500 under classics. Oh and if you find a cheap LPG water heater and shower bits let me know as I'd like to add a shower to mine. Mines a '79 chevy G30 (like a camper version of the A team van). Good luck and happy camping
Old 04-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Honda Driver.

WhipLash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
Mines a '79 chevy G30 (like a camper version of the A team van). Good luck and happy camping
Wow, all this talk of camper vans and cheap insurance has got me interested in learning more!

Where do you guys drive to? Do you holiday on the continent, like France, Spain, Italy etc? Or is it mainly in Ireland you stay?

Shaggy, have you any photo's of the camper van which you can post up?

Now we're covered under one roof @ ForumsIreland.com!
Old 04-11-2004, 11:39 PM

shaggy is on a distinguished road

Defo worth lookin into only drawback is you have to have a second car as with classic policies and be over 27 I think it is.Other than that it's all good. I'm gonna look into the legalities of running one back to back with a classic each being the others second vehicle. I'm converting mine to dual fuel at the mo (LPG) and in a week or 2 my A team wheels (cyclone) arrive from LA!!! I'm doing it up as a 70s passion wagon ...teardrop porthole windows, bonnet scoop, funfur interior etc etc. Anyone know where I can get sidepipes at the right price? Anyway ..........heres Helga!!!! , see more at http://www.geocities.com/irishskateparkforum/chevy